Riedel Crystal has been producing glass in the heart of Europe for over 250 years and eleven generations.
Why I should use a Decanter ?
How will decanting enhance my wine experience ?
- There are two reasons why we decant wines;
1) Decant old wines to separate it from its sediment.
2) Decant young wines to increase oxygenation, reveal more complexity & open up aromas and flavours
- To fully enjoy young wines (up to 10 years for both red and white) consider opening the bottle 8 to 12 hours prior to consumption for oxidization, or you can decant the wine to shorten the aeration process.
- The main preserving element in wine is carbon dioxide which becomes part of the wine during fermentation.
- Decanting diminishes the amount of carbon dioxide and "matures" the wine, allowing the bouquet to develop faster.
- On the pallet, decanted wine expresses higher levels of fruit in red wines and it tends to integrate and smooth out tannins.
- When decanting young wines, pour the wine directly into the decanter and let it splash into the vessel to promote oxygenation.
- When decanting older wines, slowly pour the wine into the decanter without allowing any sediment to leave the bottle.